Mindfulness Kids Club
Dr. Phoukham Kelly Bounkeua, PhD, LMHC
Ridgewood Elementary, Portable 3
Wednesdays before School, from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
Fall Course: October 2, 2019 - December 18, 2019
Winter Course: January 15, 2020 - April 1, 2020
Spring Course: April 15, 2020 - June 17, 2020
If you are interested in enrolling your student in the Mindfulness Club, please fill out the application below. This service is being fully sponsored by the PTA, however if you wish to make a donation to help support this club, we would appreciate it.
About the Mindfulness Kids Club
Dr. Kelly is offering the Mindfulness Kids Club as an open enrollment to allow interested students to
join. She will adapt and adjust the curriculum to the students’ needs as we progress.
Mindfulness Kids Club Goals:
- Teach students about the neuroscience of the brain. Explain that we’re wired to react
to perceived stressful situations with either a fight or flight/flee response. Research
shows that mindfulness training assists in rewiring our brain patterns to change negative
patterns (ie our inner critical voice or our inner bully).
- Students will learn about the mind and body connection. Stressors can lower our
immune systems, resulting in actual physical illness. Researchers found that 70% of the
time that people go to see a medical doctor, it’s related to psychosocial stressors, which
leads to physical illness.
- Provide students with mindfulness skills such as meditation, which includes breathing exercises, body scans, and using our 5 senses (sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste).
- Teach students to use engaging activities that have been developed by Mindfulness experts that work with children.
- Students will practice simple body stretches and body movements to experience our sensations mindfully.
- Mindfulness skills will be used to help students establish life skills that will improve their relationships with their peers, family, school, and community.
Benefits of Mindfulness/Meditation for Kids:
- Improves focus resulting in better grades and standardized testing performance
- Increases attention and concentration
- Changes the brain in ways that improve control over emotions and protects against mental illness
- Increases compassion and empathy
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and even depression
- Improves sleep
Links on Benefits of Mindfulness for Kids
Program Required Supplies:
- Yoga Mat or Meditation Cushion or Beach Towel (see Amazon, Home Depot, or Ross web sites)
Note a mat or cushion or towel is required for the Mindfulness Body Scan as students will be on
the floor for body stretches and movements (mindfulness body sensations).
- Spiral Notebook/Meditation Journal